While traditional disinfection is very popular and has been used for centuries, it doesn’t really mean that it is good enough. That’s because you can still miss harmful germs and bacteria even if you use hot water, bleach, and disinfectants. These germs and bacteria can cause illnesses and even death in extreme cases.
But thanks to the development of technology, there are better disinfection methods that can kill all germs and bacteria. This modern disinfection technology is referred to as upper air UVC disinfection. It refers to a sanitization zone of UV energy located above people in a particular room they have occupied. The upper room UVC disinfection kills airborne pathogens in the room that they are released from. To avoid direct UV exposure to people in the room, fixtures are installed.
But before we delve into the benefits of upper-room UVC disinfection, let’s first see how it works.
How does the upper air UVC work?
Air passes through the disinfection zone through fans, HVAC system, or open windows. Then the airborne bacteria, germs, and virus are killed once they receive an adequate amount of UV energy. The particles will remain in the air, but they are no longer harmful.
Where is it appropriate to use upper air UVC disinfection? Well, here are some of their deal places to use this modern form of disinfection:
- Areas where there is an increased possibility of sick people, such as hospital waiting rooms, school nurse’s offices, etc.
- Crowded areas especially when the health status of the people occupying the space is not known, including courtrooms, lobbies, etc.
With that said, let’s take a look at some of the benefits of UVC disinfection.
Benefits of UVC disinfection
- It is an effective form of disinfection
One of the top benefits of UVC disinfection is that it is an extremely effective form of disinfection. In fact, it is more effective than any other disinfection method available. UVC light can kill a wide range of harmful organisms.
UVC light can inactivate bacteria germs, viruses, and mold by breaking down their RNA and DNA, rendering them harmless. Its effectiveness is one of the reasons that have made UVC disinfection quite popular in various buildings.
- It is non-toxic
Perhaps, one of the most significant benefits of this type of disinfection is that it is not toxic. Unlike harsh chemicals which are often used in cleaning and sanitizing products, UV light is environmentally friendly. Besides, UV light disinfection is not a chemical process but a physical process.
This means that UVC light disinfection is safe for use. It can be used on any kind food prep services as well as non-food items. While there is no doubt too much UV can harm human beings, adequate protection makes this process not only safe but also a non-toxic form of disinfection for industries, such as hospitality, restaurant, and medical.
- It kills pathogens without immunity
It is no secret that using certain traditional antimicrobial agents and disinfectants has dire consequences. UV light disinfection is a physical disinfection method for killing germs and bacteria. This means that bacteria cannot build immunity to this process. This is beneficial, especially to hospitals and any other health or assisted living facility.
- It is affordable
While this may come as a surprise, upper air UVC disinfection is actually an affordable sanitization method. A lot of people usually think that it is very expensive considering that it uses technology and not chemicals. But this isn’t the case.
An Upper air UVC disinfection technology is a one-time investment that will save you a significant amount of money as well as time for many years because there are no associated labor costs over time like other disinfection methods.
- UVC disinfection is safe
One of the most commonly asked questions about UV light disinfection is if indeed it is safe to use. Many people tend to link UV exposure with risks like sunburn. But this isn’t the case. You should understand that UV light is safe as long as it is properly used.
The system is built in such a way that it only turns on when the room is unoccupied. Besides, UV light is less likely to cause harm which is the case with those harsh chemicals used in cleaning products.