Many of us work hard for our career development. You take post-graduate studies, attend seminars, conventions, and training to upskill and stay relevant in your chosen career. However, careers may change over the course of your life. This is why you must never forget your personal development.
Working on your personal development lets you have your own identity. It is a never-ending process that includes the following:
- Improving self-awareness
- Learning new and developing existing talents and potentials
- Improving your quality of life
- Improving your health
- Working on the realization of your dreams and goals
- Building your self-esteem
Your personal development journey is your own, and you should not leave it to others. Make it one of your priority resolutions for the year. The best part is that the confidence you gain when you work on yourself will shine through, making you more attractive to employers.
Take charge of your finances.
They say money is not everything, but admit it or not, your financial state can affect you. Being financially healthy has many perks. You will have no problem providing for your children’s education. Should emergencies happen, you will have no problem dealing with them. However, a sudden expense can put you in financial jeopardy if your finances are not in order. This is why controlling your finances should be in your self-development plan.
Pay off debts and cut off your credit cards. Make a budget that will serve as your guide. Review it regularly and check where you can cut off or reduce expenses. Set aside money for your emergency fund. Get life insurance. Once you have achieved all these, look for suitable investments that can grow your capital.
Achieve your health goals.
Sometimes in the hustle and bustle of life, you may put your health on the back burner. However, this should not be the case. Your health affects all aspects of your life. It can significantly affect your quality of life. It can also affect your ability to work and earn money. In some cases, it can even affect your relationships. Working on your health can have amazing effects that can positively change your life.
- Start by eating healthily. Update your diet and increase your intake of vegetables and fruits. Learn how to prepare your own meals so you will not depend on fast food takeouts and deliveries.
- Set a fixed time for bed. Getting enough sleep should be one of your health priorities. Adults need a minimum of seven hours of sleep. Turn off the TV, turn off and close your laptop, and put down your smartphones at least 30 minutes before your bedtime. This will give you time to wind down and wire your brain and body for sleep.
- Be active. Walk when you can to your destination. Use the stairs instead of the elevators. Staying active can help reduce your risks of heart diseases. Set aside at least thirty minutes of moderate-intensity activities, such as jogging, cycling, dancing, or swimming. You can integrate your chores into these activities, such as running with your dog or even playing with your kids.
Learn something that you have always wanted to do.
Maybe you have always wanted to learn how to play a musical instrument or learn how to paint. Some may want to learn how to dance or learn how to cook like a seasoned chef. Having a hobby separate from your work can actually be beneficial for your career. It encourages you to think creatively and helps you lead a balanced life. These extra activities can even help you reduce and manage stress.
Enroll in guitar lessons or take an art class. Take cooking lessons so you can whip up a feast worthy of five-star hotels. Take dancing classes with your friends. Do something that you actually love and not because it can get you promoted. It can be good for your mental health and happiness. Who knows, you can even make extra money from your new skill.
One of the easiest and cheapest ways to improve yourself is by reading books. You don’t have to always read self-help books. While self-help books are great, reading, in general, has many benefits. It increases your vocabulary. You learn new things. You also widen your horizons, helping you understand the world from different points of view.
Reading also helps improve your brain’s concentration as well as your creative thinking. It helps improve your brain’s focus. Set aside some time to read a book. Instead of swiping through your social media while having your morning or afternoon coffee, choose to read a book and immerse yourself in a new world. If you have kids, seeing you read will also encourage them to pick up a book and read as well.
You are responsible for your own development. Working on your development does not have to be complicated. Make it your mission to do something every day that will contribute to your personal goals.